Golden Globes: 80s Eye Trend

I saw a ton of super 80s-looking eyes on the 2015 Golden Globes red carpet (think 80s blush swept backwards...or in this case 80s eyeshadow swept backwards).  This example on Jessica Chastain is where it was done right.  It is paired with a pretty simple lip, and uses brown shades instead of black.  I saw other not-so-hot examples with a bright red lip and it was just too much toghether, unless it was for an editorial shoot, as opposed to being for the red carpet.  I will not name names but two Girls stars both had it and I thought "uh oh tone down either the lip or eye a little!"  This works not only with the lip but with the hair and wardrobe.  The clasic waves in the hair contrast it and give it some edge, and the makeup suits the dress, that to me is like a modern take on a dress Michelle Pfiefer might have worn in Scarface.  All the elements come together in this look.